According to a report from Alibaba global research program DAMO, Blockchain-as-a-Service (BaaS) will see rapid adoption and large-scale blockchain projects with up to 10 million active items daily.
The observations were made in a report released by DAMO Academy on trends that will dominate major technologies in 2020. Following are the salient points of the report:
- Large-scale blockchain projects such as in supply chain management, government documents, traditional banking, etc. where millions of transactions will have to be recorded will dominate this year. Blockchain-as-a-Service (BaaS) will provide all the tools required for creating unique applications. Thus, businesses can create and operate unique applications without investing in blockchain infrastructure.
- Developers will combine elements of cognitive psychology, neuroscience, and human social history to enable migration of Artificial Intelligence (AI) learning from perceptual intelligence to cognitive intelligence.
Perceptual Artificial Intelligence requires a large number of trials, after which an AI application learns to recognize the various factors and predict the correct outcomes.
Cognitive Artificial Intelligence uses algorithms that seek to mimic the human brain’s thought process for solving complex problems. The AI application is given an experience of the environment it will be exposed to. Its algorithm allows it to use the prior experience of the environment to analyze data faster; thus, reducing the time and cycles in AI learning.
- Processing-in-memory (PIM) innovations will fuse memory and processor. Thus, improving the speed and efficiency of AI applications.
- 5G adoption will grow along with the number of connected IoT devices and cloud technology. The combination of these three technologies will see more complex industrial, commercial, and technical applications being developed.
A combination of these three technologies are increasingly being used in various projects.
- New materials and modular design will create innovative semiconductor devices.
DAMO Academy was launched in October 2017 to identify and support innovative technological projects on a global scale. DAMO has offices in Beijing, Hangzhou, Singapore, Seattle, Sunnyvale, Tel-Aviv, and New York. DAMO functions as an R&D center for Alibaba and funds research in its projects like neural network chip and cloud computing.